Draw With Me - Week 7

Hello my Art buddies. . . hope your week is progressing nicely.

So last week I chose the photo for my drawing, did a bit of cropping in PSE (that's PhotoShop Elements but you can use what ever program you have to do your editing)  At this point I also convert the photo to black and white if my drawing is a graphite rendering. . . it brings out the depth of tone better I find and makes it easier to determine my grey scale.


If my drawing is 9.5 x 7.5 I will print out my photo the same size (makes for less work when transferring my line drawing.  If there is a lot of detail I will make the grid smaller so I can focus in on the detail.  I find when I don't look at the drawing as a whole and concentrate on one section at a time the shapes reveal themselves better.

So lets draw our grid.  I usually try to use an even number for my grid so being that I am an old school kind of gal I use inches. . . it's just how my brain was programmed (hard to teach an old dog new tricks and all that).  I will leave a quarter of an inch at either side and top and bottom then start my grid from there.  I'm using a one inch grid.


Next week we will begin to transfer our drawing. . . make our line drawing.

So here's a little treat for you.  The Derwent Pencil company sent me a box of goodies to give away so each week I will be drawing a name to win a blister pack of drawing pencils (this week 4 Graphic Soft pencils). . . isn't that awesome?  Leave a comment here on my blog and get an entry.  Join my blog ...get an entry.  Follow me on Twitter and get another entry.  'Like' my FaceBook page and get another.  Easy peasy.  You have until Tuesday at 7pm then I will pick a winner.  Good luck.

Have a good one. . . Sheila

11 comments:

  1. Love, love love your work. I have a painting that Aaron did if baby shoes. You can just look at them forever. I can hardly wait to see your drawing come to life. I love pencils. Thanks for the great giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Jennifer and thanks for your kind words. I am anxious to get drawing on this one. Good luck in the draw.

      Delete
  2. Hello again. A follower on Facebook too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shoes are so cute. It gets me thinking about my boys baby shoes. I really must do some digging to see what I have! Great giveaway, I'll pass it along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love baby shoes...so cute. Thanks Wendy.

      Delete
  4. Thanks again Sheila! Ok I went to print my pic in black and white, the one I took at the lake with the frozen spray and the sea gulls. When I printed it in black and white there isn't enough contrast. Also do you make your grid directly on the drawing paper? I would be so excited to have those pencils, I have two and they are lovely to work with!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan you should be able to adjust the contrast and brightness depending on the program you are using. Your photo I think would be fine to use in colour if you can't get the results you are looking for. Yes I draw my grid directly on my drawing paper though use a light touch so you don't scratch or indent the paper...just enough that you can see it. I'll enter you in the draw for sure. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to seeing the finished drawing!! You inspire me, and I have been working on a couple of projects - graphite of some shells and rocks collected on my favorite beach, and watercolour of Tibetan Blue Poppies from my favorite spot in Butchart Gardens!!! Happy drawing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome Elaine...I'd like to see your drawings too and thank you for your kind words. Good luck with your graphites and keep drawing.

      Delete
    2. Check out my FB for album of some of my drawings and paintings!!!

      Delete

Leave me a message

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails