Draw With Me - Sharing Some Spring Colours


Hello my Artsy friends. . . I hope you are well and looking forward to Spring springing. . . albeit slowly.

I have had my oldest boy home from university for a week (only a week) and he is off again, flying up North to work.  He studies geology and landed a primo job with a mining company in Nunavut. . . how exciting is that, right?  He had a long day flying yesterday leaving from Ottawa at 7am then to Toronto on to Edmonton then Yellowknife.  He flies to Nunavut this morning. . . Mom is a little anxious.

I thought I would share a few of my coloured pencil drawings that are cheery and bright for Spring.  These are such a departure from my regular photo realism graphite and so much fun to develop and construct.  You may be asking why I say construct. . . there is a lot going on when you are creating a drawing from your imagination as opposed to drawing from a still life or photograph.  It's all about constructing a flow and filling the space in a balanced way.


I begin with an idea or theme that has popped into my mind (usually while I sleep) and I jot down basic shapes and elements to begin developing my composition.  I will draw, erase and re-draw many times before I am satisfied with my composition and then I will spend many an hour developing my palette. . . blending and layering colours to find the look I have in mind.

I use Derwent pencils as well as Prismacolor pencils. . . they are both very wonderful to blend being that they are creamy (waxy) and full of gorgeous pigment.  A nice smooth vellum surface heavy stock I find works the best for blending for these drawings.  I have used canvas paper though eating your pencils it gives you a fabulous 'painting' effect. . . it all depends on what look you are going for.

The next time you look at a painting or drawing look deeper than the surface and you will see so much more.  

Enjoy your week and enjoy being creative.

Sheila

4 comments:

  1. Im Trying To Do Graphic Design What Program Would You Recommend ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quality of information that you are providing is simply marvelous.

    free baby samples by mail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment. I do enjoy sharing what I know. Maybe it will inspire you to try something new and encourage you to pay it forward as well.

      Delete

Leave me a message

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails