02 February 2012

Draw With Me - Week 5


Hello Art friends . . . are you ready to talk about choosing the size of your drawing?

I guess the first thing we need to talk about is what will you be doing with your drawing.  This always is a big question for me.  If it is a commissioned drawing my client determines the size. . . if it is a drawing I'm doing for myself I have to decide on whether I will want to make prints and cards to share.  You can choose whatever size you like. . . a square is always nice though a little harder to find mats and frames.

Many of my drawings I keep to 9.5 x 7.5 size.  This is the size that works well with my scanner which is a standard scanner though I am thinking of upgrading to a larger format just to have more options.

Just a note.  When I was in Art School we were taught that you always give your width measurement first that's why you see that I put longer number at the beginning.

For larger drawings you do have the option of using a company that can scan and print reproductions.  I use this option as well though it requires you to make a bit of an investment, it all depends on the vision you have for your drawing.


So let's get started.  You have your paper chosen and now lets lightly draw our 9.5 x 7.5 box.  You can trim your paper to 11 x 8.5 to fit your scanner or leave as is. . . I will leave mine for now (I can always trim it later)  You can either find the centre of you paper and measure out from there or measure in from the sides.  So from the sides I measure in 1.25 inches from each side and .75 of an inch from the top and bottom.

And now we have our dimensions measured ready for next week when we will discuss photographing our subject.

If you have any questions I'll be more than happy to help.

Sheila